Gardening and Senior Care in Houston TX
Gardening has many health and therapeutic benefits for older people, especially when you create an edible garden. Garden beds, equipment and tools can all be modified to create a garden that is interesting, accessible and productive.
Some medical conditions and physical disabilities may restrict or prevent older people receiving senior care from participating in gardening. However with planning and a few changes, you can create a safe, accessible, and pleasant space.
Gardening keeps you fit and healthy
Everyone can benefit from creating an edible garden. Seniors can get particular benefits because gardening:
- Is an enjoyable form of exercise.
- Increases levels of physical activity and maintains mobility and flexibility.
- Encourages use of all motor skills – walking, reaching and bending – through activities such as planting seeds and taking cuttings.
- Improves endurance and strength.
- Helps prevent diseases like osteoporosis.
- Reduces stress levels and promotes relaxation.
- Provides stimulation and interest in nature and the outdoors.
- Improves wellbeing as a result of social interaction.
- Provides nutritious, home-grown produce.
Physical and mental considerations
Some physical, mental and age-related conditions must be considered when older people work in the garden. These include:
- Skin – fragile, thinning skin makes the elderly susceptible to bumps, bruises and sunburn.
- Vision – changes in the eye lens structure, loss of peripheral vision and generally poorer eyesight can restrict activities.
- Mental abilities – mental health, thinking and memory abilities may be affected by dementia and similar conditions.
- Body temperature – susceptibility to temperature changes and tendency to dehydrate or suffer from heat exhaustion are common concerns with outdoor physical activity for older people.
- Skeletal – falls are more common because balance is often not as good. Osteoporosis and arthritis may restrict movement and flexibility.
continue reading from betterhealth.vic.gov
For more information about senior care in the Houston area, contact At Your Side Home Care. We are a home care agency dedicated to providing quality and affordable care in the home. Call 832-271-1600 today.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Latest posts by Donna Wrabel, LMSW (see all)
- Dear Donna — Advice for an Overwhelmed Daughter - April 23, 2019
- Even Light Activity Benefits an Older Woman’s Health - April 18, 2019
- How Do You Know When It’s Time to Ask for Help With Family Caregiving? - April 12, 2019