Urinary tract infections are relatively common. In fact, a woman’s chance of suffering at least one urinary tract infection during her lifetime is between 40 and 50%. Her risk of suffering another infection increases with each infection that she experiences. While men are at much lower risk of developing these infections, they can and do suffer UTIs as well. These infections can be very uncomfortable for your aging parents and even results in non classic symptoms that can be dangerous, including symptoms that mimic dementia, decreased mobility, and increased risk for falls. Helping your parent to avoid a urinary tract infection can guard their safety and protect their health from serious consequences that can come from the infection itself, the infection spreading to other parts of the body, and the further diminished immune system that occurs as a result of an infection.
Use these tips to help your senior avoid UTIs:
- Make sure that they are drinking enough fluids regularly. This flushes out the system and reduces the chances that bacteria will be able to stick and flourish
- Encourage your parent to use the restroom as soon as they feel the urge to rather than “holding it” which can lead to bacteria growth
- Ensure that your aging parent cleans themselves properly and thoroughly after using the restroom
- If your parent suffers from incontinence, ensure that they are kept clean and dry, and that they are regularly cleaned and dried after any episodes
- Be sure that your parent changes their undergarments daily
- If your parent is prone to these infections, avoid caffeine and alcohol, both of which can irritate the urinary tract
Starting home care for your aging parent can be one of the most beneficial decisions that you can make for your aging parent during the course of your caregiver journey with them. As a family caregiver your goal is to ensure that your parent’s individual needs are met, and that they are able to live the highest quality of life possible throughout their later years. Bringing an in-home care provider into your care routine with your parent is a fantastic way to help you reach this goal. Through a set of highly personalized services, this care provider will address your seniors individual needs and challenges in a way that is best for them. This ensures that they will get everything that they need while also supporting your health, well-being, and ability to manage all other needs in your life as well.
If you or an aging loved one are considering home care in The Energy Corridor, TX, please call the caring staff at At Your Side Home Care. We will answer all of your senior care questions. Call today: (832) 271-1600.
Our Certified Nurse Aides, 24-Hour Live-in Assistants and Home Health Aides are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We also provide the security and confidence of 24-hour Telephone Assistance, so fast, reliable help is always available when it's needed. To learn more about our homecare services see our homecare services page.
Different people need different levels of homecare. To meet the requirements of our clients, At Your Side Homecare maintains consistent staffing levels of caring professionals. Homecare service is available for as little as a few hours a week, or as many as 24 hours a day, seven days a week